Annual Salary: In the range of £10,000 - £12,000
Are you an organised and conscientious, tech-proficient, Sixth-Form or College leaver? Have you completed A Levels and want to kick-start your career by getting on-the-job experience whilst getting paid at the same time? We have a fantastic opportunity as an alternative to taking the University route into working life.
Taking the first steps into a career in accountancy has never been more exciting – the industry is in the midst of its evolution into the digital era with the rapid and constant evolution of software and apps which enable business owners to look after their finances in ways like never before. Page Kirk is making a conscious and concerted effort to blaze a trail into this new era of accountancy, dedicating significant resource for our people to develop new ways of working and to offer business owners a modern and forward-thinking service.
The role and the qualification you will achieve:
This role has a very heavy focus around technology - you will be using various software and apps to streamline and improve the day-to-day data management, bookkeeping and cloud accounting services which Page Kirk provides to its clients. Alongside your responsibilities at work, you will undertake a training contract (apprenticeship agreement) and study towards completing the AAT qualification (Levels 2, 3 & 4). Page Kirk will provide paid study leave and will fully fund your studies towards becoming AAT qualified.
What this role could lead to:
Becoming AAT qualified and having practice experience on your CV is invaluable for a successful career in accountancy, whether that may be progressing your career within an accountancy practice (as an accountant or tax advisor) or as an industry accountant in business (as a financial accountant or finance director). Once you are AAT qualified, the natural career progression in terms of further qualification would be to study towards becoming a Chartered Accountant (ACA) or Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA).
Duties will include:
- Use of technology, software, and apps to handle data-processing of accounting records and financial information
- Inputting accounting data from invoices and receipts using software such as Dext and Hubdoc
- Assisting with transaction confirmation and reconciliation using software such as Quickbooks and Xero
- Working with the advisory team to utilise software features to help improve automation of data-processing of accounting data, to remove as many manual touchpoints as possible
- Identifying and processing different cost classifications for a business’ transactions
- Ensuring that accounting records are complete and up to date on a regular and timely basis for the clients which you are involved with
- Handling data and information for a range of clients within the advisory department
- Supporting with general accounts and tax administration tasks
- Working to weekly/monthly/quarterly deadlines as part of the wider advisory team
- Liaising with clients via email, telephone, and video calls when necessary
- Helping to prepare blogs and articles relevant to your area of work when required
- Have achieved 3 A levels at grades A-C or equivalent. Maths and English would be preferable but not a necessity
- Have achieved GCSE or equivalent Maths and English at grade B / grade 5 or above
- No prior relevant work experience is expected or necessary
- This role is an apprenticeship in accountancy and therefore people who have a degree-level qualification need not apply
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Tech-proficient – must be confident and comfortable learning and using new software and accounting-related apps
- Must be numerate and have good literacy and general communication skills
- Conscientious and organised, must be able to prioritise and organise workload to work to tight deadlines
- Confident and personable
- Hard-working, trustworthy, and diligent, must have good attention to detail and take pride in presenting accurate work
Who are we: Page Kirk are a medium-sized firm of Chartered Accountants and Chartered Tax Advisers based in Nottingham. We were named best practice by the ICAEW East Midlands (1-10 partner category). As a firm of the future our primary focus is building long-term relationships with our clients by understanding their goals and needs and working closely with them to provide the absolute best advice with particular emphasis on delivering a personal service.
Page Kirk has doubled its leadership team in the last 12 months by increasing its number of partners from 3 to 6. We have huge ambitions for growth, the effects of which we are beginning to see already, and as such we need to grow our team with like-minded and capable individuals.
Fully funded progression towards the full AAT qualification (Levels 2, 3 & 4)
Paid study leave
Enhanced holiday entitlement
A friendly, centrally located office, with access to good transport links
Structured development with measurable milestones
Supportive learning environment with knowledgeable mentors and excellent peer group keen to share
Fully paid opportunities to participate in a wide range of social activities
Working for a caring employer, committed to social responsibility, and regularly engaging in fundraising activity for deserving causes
Christmas shutdown, office closure from Christmas Eve till after New Year’s Day
How to apply:
If you think you’ve got what it takes to be a member of the Page Kirk team fill in the online application form by clicking below. This will take you to an online jobs portal to upload your CV and covering letter explaining why you would like to be an accountant and why you would like to work for Page Kirk. After submitting all your documents, we do ask you to fill in a personal profile online which includes career history, skills, and qualifications.
Click here to apply online
“Having left school not knowing what I wanted to do as a career I ended up doing some seasonal work in France but when I came back to England I wasn’t sure what I would do.
I applied to work at Page Kirk and was soon offered a job in their new outsourcing department with the opportunity to study AAT which I very happily took them up on. Page Kirk funded all the costs involved in gaining my qualification and I was helped at every stage by more experienced colleagues, whether that was in the actual job or to do with studies, everyone around was happy to help me learn and develop.
The work is so varied, it really keeps you on your toes and I’m finding that 20 years later I’m still learning! I appreciate having a career that keeps me interested, I think I would soon be fed up if it was the same work, day in day out.”
“To put it simply, Page Kirk is a brilliant place to work and has done wonders for both my professional and personal development. Everyone is always willing to help each other out, motivating each other to be the best we possibly can be. It is exciting to be part of a forward-thinking firm that is continuing to grow, providing the opportunity for progression for those who wish to move up the career ladder and I feel incredibly fortunate to be a part of the Page Kirk family.”
“Page Kirk offers the opportunity to work with a wide range of industry sectors and gives you a chance to experience many areas of audit, accountancy and tax – an experience not always afforded by the larger firms.”
“Page Kirk enables me to grow as an individual and allows for excellent career progression.
We all have a close relationship which enables us to work efficiently and ensures our clients get the best level of service, as well as us enjoying our working week.”
“The partners and managers are always open to hear my ideas and perspective and actively encourages feedback to improve the firm and the service we provide. Page Kirk also gives me the necessary experience to develop along with the support of my colleagues. There is a great sense of community, where each member aims to empower one another.”